Sunday, July 11, 2010
No growing up allowed!
Yesterday we decided to take Ryan to see Toy Story 3 in the movie theater. I wasn't sure how it would go - I had no doubt that he had the attention span for the movie (he has sat through TS1 and 2 about 70 times!), but I wondered if it would be too loud and overwhelming for him in the theater. We settled into our seats and he was very excited to see Buzz and Woody. However, as we sat through 30 minutes of previews (yes, you heard me right - 30!) of some truly bizarre movies, his enthusiasm waned. He kept asking for Buzz and Woody, and then started saying he wanted to go home. Tim took him for a bathroom break, and didn't return until the movie began. The first scene was a loud battle scene between Mr Potato Head and Woody, with Buzz Lightyear swooping in to save the day. Loud is an understatement - the theater was practically vibrating and there were explosions and crashes. Ryan was visibly scared, and started whimpering "I don't like this. I want to go home!" We tried to hang in there, and when the opening scene was over, the movie began with old home movies of Andy (the main character) playing with Buzz and Woody when he was a child. When the home movies ended, we see Andy as a 17 year old, with his younger sister Molly, who has also grown up since the last 2 movies. Ryan still wasn't interested, and asked to go to the bathroom. In the bathroom he informed me that he didn't like the "different Molly." I explained that Andy and Molly grew up, he told me that there were 2 Andys and 2 Mollys, and he didn't like the grown up Molly and Andy. Coincidentally, I didn't either - as I watched the opening scene showing Andy as a child and then as a teenager, I had tears streaming down my own face, picturing Ryan as a teenager abandoning his toys from childhood. But that's another story! I attempted one last time to go back to the theater and asked Ryan if he wanted to return to our seats. His response? "I want to go get Daddy, pack up, and go home!" Looks like we'll be waiting for the DVD...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment