Today I am remembering Christmas Breakfasts from years past. Again, this is a tradition that started as far back as I can remember, and I'm sure even before that...All of my mom's family members would gather at my Nana and Grandpa's house mid morning to exchange gifts and have Christmas breakfast together. My brother and I and my parents would wake up early, open gifts at our house from Santa, then get ready and head over to my Nana's house, where we would meet up with all of my aunts and uncles. For about 10 years, it was just my brother and I, and then as my Aunts and Uncles started having children of their own, my cousins were there too. There was always a variety of donuts, muffins and pastries, as well as ribbon candy (it became a family joke) and my mom's coffee cake, which she made very year without fail. As more cousins arrived on the scene, it turned into a chaotic (read:loud!) morning, but one filled with love, laughter, and the excitement of Christmas. Again, I am glad that when Tim and I met, this tradition was still going strong, and he was able to celebrate a Christmas morning breakfast at my Nana's house. About 7 years ago, after my grandparents moved out of their home and into a small apartment, the breakfast tradition continued at my Aunt Sue and Uncle John's house. It has since moved to my Uncle Bill and Aunt Sara's house, and this past year it moved to my parents' house, where it will be held again this year. Last year Tim, Ryan and I made the trip up to Massachusetts for Christmas and finally at the age of 33, I didn't have to go anywhere on Christmas Day, as we stayed at my parents house for breakfast and dinner. All of my younger cousins doted on Ryan, there has not been a baby in the family for a LONG time, and he loved every minute of it. My grandmother lives in a nursing home now, but she was able to come and stay not only for breakfast, but also dinner, and spend some quality time with us and her only great grandchild.
This year, Tim, Ryan and I will have our own Christmas breakfast celebration together. I plan to make my mom's famous coffee cake, and Tim will be making apple cinnamon pancakes. We will stay in our PJs all day and let Ryan play with his new toys, listen to Christmas music, and enjoy the day, creating our own new memories.
A few days ago, my mother asked me if I thought that I missed out on something all those years that we had to "get up and go" on Christmas, not able to stay at our own home, and instead going here, there and everywhere (Breakfast was only the beginning of our day of family visiting!) Honestly, I didn't know anything different, and I don't think I would have had it any other way. I would not have all these great memories of spending holidays with our relatives, the people who mean the most to us. Especially now, living so far away from everyone, I cherish those memories and hold all of those Christmas traditions close to my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Nana - Christmas Breakfast 2005




No comments:
Post a Comment